Saturday, February 12, 2011

New Title, New Duties, redux

I posted here a week ago about my new position as Acting Director, Oversight, in the Center for Consumer Information and Insurance Oversight (CCIIO) within the Center for Medicare and Medicaid Servics (CMS). I took the post down because I heard some mindless chatter that some folks out there--you know who you are, I don't--thought I'd jumped the gun because they hadnt seen a press release from CMS announcing my appointment. As if. For the record, there has been and there will be no press release about this--I am not all that (yet, anyway). And of course I had approval from the right people to share the news, as it was official and all the people who needed to know had been informed. 'Nuff said.

I've been in the job just short of two weeks and things are going just great. There's a lt going on and quite a few plates to keep spinning on those long sticks, but I wouldn't have it any other way. This is what I came to Washington to do; I'm happy and grateful that I'm having the chance to do it.

If you go to our new website, cciio.cms.gov/cciio, you can see lots of info about what we do. One day we may have an organization chart on there, but for now I can tell you that there are four Offices below the level of Center Director. The website describes our duties this way:

The Office of Oversight
This office will implement, monitor compliance with, and enforce the new rules governing the insurance market and the new rules regarding medical loss ratios. It will also be responsible for rate review at the federal level, and for providing rate review grants to states.

So that's what we're going to do.

No comments:

Post a Comment