Wednesday, February 3, 2010

First real day

When Liz and I last lived in DC, from 1979-81, it struck me (probably not an original thought) that Washington and Hollywood are a lot alike. Company towns, with a hierarchy made clear by who you know, who will return your calls, what meetings and parties you're invited to.

It still feels that way, only now it's as if Rupert Murdoch has to agree before HBO or Showtime can put a new show on the air. As you can imagine, his main interest is not in their increasing their audience share.

Today the Congressman took me to a meeting in the Speaker's Office, in attendance were the Majority Leader and a number of Members, as well as staff. I won't go into what was discussed, other than to say that Speaker Pelosi solicited everyone's views and reached a consensus on what should be recommended to the Democratic Caucus with respect to a particular bill. While saying that she would welcome Rupert Murdoch's support (ie, any Republican votes), she isn't counting on it.

My thoughts contributed to the discussion as expressed by the boss, but I promise, I am not letting it go to my head.

No comments:

Post a Comment