Monday, April 5, 2010

Early adopter

It won't surprise many of you that my iPad arrived at my door Saturday, having been ordered the first day Apple started taking orders. Fortunately, it rained hard all day Sunday, so that I had plenty of time to put it through it's paces. Though I still have plenty more experimenting/playing with the various apps vie loaded on it.

Initial impressions: will it change my life? Nope. Will it replace my laptop? Nope, esp because I can't log into VPN for work using it. Will I turn to it at home as opposed to my iPhone, laptop or desktop? Absolutely.

Reading Kindle books, Barnes & Noble ebooks and now iBooks, is fantastic. (I've given my Kindle to Liz). Reading the newspaper, a magazine or Marvel comics is way easier and more fun than on a laptop or iPhone. The right amount of the text shows on the screen, and you can easily zoom in to make it bigger.

Probably the coolest thing so far is watching movies. With the Netflix app tou can watch any of the "watch instantly" movies they have anytime you're in a wifi network. The quality of the picture is terrific, and the screen is large enough so that it doesn't look silly.

Nothing too original here, just my immediate thoughts.

On a related topic, I now have both an iPhone (personal) and Blackberry Curve (work). And my question is: why would anyone get a Blackberry if they could have an iPhone? I used to be a big fan of Blackberry, i helped introduce it to my firm when it first came out, but the keys on this thing are so small there's no way to type with it--plus it doesn't correct your mistakes. My aging eyes can't even read the keys. And web browsing, etc is a joke compared to the iPhone. Not to mention the fact that the iPhone is an iPod Just my opinion.

No comments:

Post a Comment