Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Settling in

I moved into my new apartment on Monday night after a long, delayed flight from SF. Oh, joy, to open the fridge to find that the owner had left behind 4 Bass Ales and a wheel of Bon Bell cheese. Next morning, after the cable guy left, I headed up to Bethesda to pick up the things I'd left with my friends Julie and Mark while I was back in CA. A word about friends--What a blessing they are! Julie and Mark took me in, sheltered me from the storms (quite literally), fed me, transported me (literally and figuratively) and made me feel absolutely welcome every second. They made the first part of this adventure possible, and I am enormously grateful.

I went up to Bethesda by Zipcar, my first experience, and it is very cool. A Toyota Scion is parked across the street from my building; reserve it, press your card against the windshield, and you're in and on your way. Two hours, pick up my stuff, do a big shop at the grocery, $18.

Back at work and lots to do. Most fun so far was the other night, after "Special Orders" (see earlier post for definition), I went to dinner with the boss and three other Congressmen, from Iowa, Wisconsin and NY. Great camaraderie, talk of what it was like back home during the recess, politics, policy, more politics. These Members are part of what they call the "Populist Caucus," about which more to come in future posts. It was great to be welcomed as part of the "club," very relaxed, no pretension, just an earnest but good-humored desire to figure out how to get things done.

No comments:

Post a Comment